Ezekiel 2

http://www.lulu.com/shop/betty-tracy/from-the-whirlwind-ezekiel/paperback/product-22264744.html


1 And He said unto me, "Son of man, stand upon thy feet, and I will speak unto thee".

We have seen what God is. Now we will hear what He has to say.

The term "Son of Man" simply means the human race in most places in the Bible. The exceptions appear to be here in Ezekiel (90+ times), Daniel (twice), and Jesus (70+ times) where the text is obviously referring to single individuals. It appears to be a term of humble-reminder of the man’s humanity, and at the same time, a term of endearment. Since Ezekiel’s ministry is similar to Christ’s (both denounced the sin of the nation Israel and pointed the way to salvation) it is possible God is identifying Ezekiel as a type of Christ by using the same term Christ will use for Himself.

2 And the spirit entered into me when He spoke unto me, and set me upon my feet, that I heard Him that spoke unto me.

3 And He said unto me, "Son of man, I send thee to the children of Israel, to a rebellious nation that hath rebelled against Me: they and their fathers have transgressed against Me, even unto this very day."

God is sending Ezekiel to prophecy to Israel, a people who could never seem to quit sinning.

4 "For they are impudent children and stiffhearted. I do send thee unto them; and thou shalt say unto them, 'Thus says the Lord God.'

5 "And they, whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear, (for they are a rebellious house,) yet shall know that there hath been a prophet among them."

"They may listen to you and they may not, but they will know that you speak for Me."

6 "And thou, son of man, be not afraid of them, neither be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns be with thee, and thou do dwell among scorpions: be not afraid of their words, nor be dismayed at their looks, though they be a rebellious house."

God is calling Israel briers and thorns and dead serpents (translated here as scorpions). God promises His protection.

7 "And thou shall speak My words unto them, whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear: for they are most rebellious."

"You obey Me, Ezekiel, whether anyone else does or not."

This is really the command to all of us; do what God tells you. The results, whether or not anyone listens to you, is not really your business. Only your obedience is. 

8 "But thou, son of man, hear what I say unto thee; Be not thou rebellious like that rebellious house: open thy mouth, and eat that I give thee."

9 And when I looked, behold, an hand was sent unto me; and, lo, a roll of a book was therein;

Books were written on rolls of parchment (usually made for sheep skin) until the end of the Middle Ages.

There is no mention of a body attached to this hand.

10 And He spread it before me; and it was written within and without: and there was written therein lamentations, and mourning, and woe.

This was a sad book. It details the sins of Israel.